Thursday 12 January 2012

A new way to make an old book cover by Ruth

My love affair with everything Art Deco has never faltered since my teens so you imagine my joy when these gorgeous papers arrived. I had plans for one page but when you purchase a Websters pack you always get two, so today I have used both papers on different projects. 

As the theme of this months challenge is "try something new".....I have used my "NEW" sewing machine and made a fabric book cover. I was inspired by the cover of a new craft magazine on the market...but in my haste I forgot to add the handles...duh!!


I used cotton calico and cut the material to fit the opened book with a generous 4cm selvedge. The second piece is the same size as the first but cut in half and turned in to neaten the inside edges. Pin to the outside edges and stitch along all the raw sides. Turn inside out to create the flaps and sew down/neaten the edge of the top and bottom that show on the spine.


Spray with pastel colour sprays.....oh such fun!!

I added (stitched) a luxurious silver trim to the spine Embroidered Lace it's 7cm wide and so stunning that I have been hanging onto it for too long!!


Leave to dry and slip the book inside and decorate with Websters Pages Hollywood Vogue paper. and Fabric Ribbon.




I love how versatile the calico is and so much quicker to make and spray than using paper and creating envelope corners and waiting for glue to dry.

(I think I am going to leave the fancy cover behind and just take my sketch book to New Zealand then add photos on my return and pop the cover back on it).

Tip: You can cover recipe books, vintage books, diaries, sketch books etc to make lovely gifts.

Websters 12x12 number 2!

This layout is my sister wearing a necklace as a flapper headpiece.....the whole family get dressed up 1920's style once a year along with about six thousand locals and tourists.



I cut the patterned paper using a template and glued it onto the black 12x12. The edges are dotted with liquid pearls to represent flapper necklaces. A doiley, stickers, wooden Kaisercraft fence, some journelling notes and ephemera complete the page. 


This year it's my turn to dress up..camera check, diary check, flapper dress check!!

A quick reminder about the current Happy Daze Challenge which is Try Something New for the New Year.
 It could be a new technique you have recently discovered or some new stash you can't wait to to use. There is still plenty of time to enter. One lucky winner will be drawn at random to win a  £15 voucher and free P&P to spend in the Happy Daze shop.
 Maximum of 3 entries per person & you must use at least one product which can be purchased in the Happy Daze shop. 
  • You can enter by blogging your address to the linky widget here
  • emailing your picture to info@happy-daze.net
  • uploading your photo to their facebook page




2 comments:

  1. Ooooh fabulous fabric cover for your book. Great idea and looks very tactile. XX

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.